Even among the most popular competitive video games, Dota 2 has one of the biggest esports followings – and largest prize pools. One way you can get in on the excitement is through Dota 2 betting.
The experience may be different to your typical sports bet. But the strategy is the same. Understand the strengths and weaknesses of those taking part, and predict how the match will end.
Discover why Dota 2 is leading the way for a new form of wagering. Here are our essential tips and predictions for Dota 2 betting.
Dota 2 – the Basics
Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena game (or MOBA) where the outcomes are seemingly endless.
This is what can make the game such an exciting contest to bet on.
However, there are some important basics:
- Games are fought by Teams competing on a virtual map.
- The objective is always to destroy the enemy team’s base, known as the ‘Ancient’.
- Teams have five members who each control a different character, known as a Hero.
- These Heroes are classed as Agility, Strength or Intelligence characters, to reflect where their strongest talents lie.
- Teams build up skills and money by defeating non-playable characters, called ‘Creeps’.
- Top teams compete every year at The International – a global tournament with a prize pool that can be over $20 million.
For more information on how Dota 2 is played, the biggest tournaments and the top teams, check out our guide to Dota 2 esports .
Dota Betting Explained
Like traditional sports, Dota 2 betting involves making wagers on the outcome of a specific match, team or tournament.
However, the limitless outcomes and regular new features can make Dota 2 unpredictable, meaning each bet can be as exciting and rewarding as the next.
How Dota 2 Betting Works
There are various ways you can place a bet on Dota 2.
The most common include:
- Match Winner – Place a bet on the team you think is going to win the whole match, usually a best of five Maps.
- Map Winner – Bet on a specific Map number winner, for example who will win Map Two. This doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll win the total match.
- Map Handicaps – Similar to handicap betting in sports, but instead of the score it’s based on the number of matches won. So, if you bet on a team with a 1.5 handicap and they lose 1-2, the 1.5 handicap means you win the bet as it places them at 2.5 wins in total.
- Final Score – In tournaments and leagues, the winner is often crowned based on the final score. In Dota 2, you can bet on the exact final score of the series.
- First Blood – An exciting way to vary up your bets is to predict which team willdraw the first blood – i.e. kill a player on the enemy team first.
During big tournaments, extra options also sometimes become available. This could be things like ‘most played Hero’ or ‘longest Map’.
How to place a bet
Like sports, Dota 2 betting is based on odds. This will give you an idea of which team is likely to do best. You’ll also then know how much money you’ll earn if your predictions are right.
- You can usually place your wager both before and during the match. Live betting can be especially interesting during big tournaments. The game can be highly unpredictable, so the odds can change frequently.
- You can combine bets to increase your odds, or take a gamble on the underdog.
We have our own Dota 2 betting hub . Head here to watch live events and make bets on the match winners, handicap maps and specific map winners.
Dota 2 Predictions and Tips
There’s no way to predict the outcome of a Dota 2 match with 100% accuracy. But there are some good ways to increase your chances.
Key tips:Understand the game – Before you bet on Dota 2, it’s worth watching recorded matches of previous tournaments to see how the game works. These are ‘the best of the best’ competing, so it will also give you an idea of the types of ‘curveballs’ matches can throw up.
Research events – The best way to bet on Dota 2 is often live, as so many factors can change the odds at the last second. Check out when the main events are happening and get involved.
Know the Heroes – Dota 2 has more than one hundred, so that may seem out-facing. But it’s a good idea to learn which are the most popular, and the common strategies players use when selecting their Heroes.
Follow teams – Whatever the bet, outcomes will rely on a team’s performance. Before the event, check out the teams in the running and what the buzz is about them. It’s worth picking a few favourites and watching some of their live streams to figure out their playstyle.
Check the odds – Odds are there for a reason. If it’s your first time betting on Dota 2, it may be better to bet on the favourites until you get a grasp of the game. If you want to take more risks, the odds will also highlight who the series’ underdog is.
Where Can I Bet on Dota 2?
Many traditional betting sites offer some form of esports betting, with various styles and features available. Dedicated Dota 2 betting is available with Betsafe .
What is the Biggest Dota 2 Tournament?
The International is Dota 2’s biggest annual tournament, usually taking place during the summer months. The biggest teams from around the world compete for a chance to win a $20+ million prize pool. As you can imagine, this is an especially major event for Dota 2 predictions and wagers.
Who is the Biggest Dota 2 Esports Team?
Dota 2 has some of the best esports teams, but who will come out on top depends on how they play on the day. Team Secret has had some of the highest world rankings, based on the number of wins during the series.